Don’t like being assigned a middle seat on a long haul flight or sit next to a snoring passenger? AirAsia’s long haul low cost affiliate is making it possible for passengers to escape this "tight" situation with its new Empty Seat Option (ESo) that makes available three seats in a row in economy for a nominal fee.
ESo is AirAsia X’s second ancillary offering in partnership with Optiontown after the success of its Upgrade Travel Option (UTo) service, which was launched in 2011. It provides passengers the option to upgrade to the airline’s Premium Flatbed seats.
According to AirAsia X, the UTo has helped to increase the premium class load factor by over 22%, and upgrade yield by over 60%.
AirAsia X CEO, Azran Osman-Rani (pictured stretching out over three seats), said the ESo is another move by the airline to offer its guests the option to purchase only what they require depending on their needs, rather than bundling the cost to its fare offerings.
"I believe that the Empty Seat Option will be a great addition to our family of ancillary products, which will further increase our ancillary revenue stream. We estimate that we culd earn up to US$1 million in 2012,” he added.
Guide to add ESo to your booking:
1. Log on to www.airasia.com, select “Upgrade with Optiontown” under the "Flight Information" section
2. Click on "Optiontown", select "Empty Seat Option"
3. Enter the current flight booking number, select flight for ESo
4. Pay a small sign up fee (RM3/US$1) and a nominal Empty Seat(s) fee
5. Empty Seat(s) availability status emailed (72-4 hours) to customer before flight departure
6. If Empty Seat(s) are not assigned due to unavailability, fee will be refund automatically to the customer.
• Photo courtesy of AirAsia X