The main players on the online scene – Wotif, TripAdvisor, Expedia, Qunar, MaFengWo - continue to rule in Australia, New Zealand and China, while the airline sector sees dominance by Qantas, Air New Zealand and China Southern Airlines. (Full report below and in slides)
- Wotif.com (12.49%) continued to lead the online travel scene in Australia moving into 2013, with Webjet Australia (12.07%) and Expedia Australia (9.01%) following behind.
- Over in the destination and accommodation category, TripAdvisor Australia continues its reign for the third month running with 10.35% share of visits. Hotels Combined (4.54%) managed to jump two spaces to clinch third place, kicking TripAdvisor (4.43%) down a spot.
- The commercial airline sector remained volatile for the third consecutive month, with Qantas (20.62%) reclaiming its title at the top of the table, knocking previous top seed Jetstar (18.48%) down a spot.
- Expedia.co.nz (10.74%) managed to maintain its stronghold as the top online travel agency in New Zealand, with Wotif.com (9.71%) and Webjet New Zealand (9.58%) trailing closely behind.
- The destination and accommodation space in New Zealand remained fairly consistent for the month of January – TripAdvisor (9.53%), Booking.com (6.61%), stuff.co.nz Travel (5.40%), HolidayHouses.co.nz (3.95%) and AA New Zealand Travel Guide (2.93%).
- Similarly, the commercial airline sector also remained stable. Air New Zealand clearly dominates the scene, with both its standard (40.99%) and “grabaseat” (19.96%) carriers clinching more than half of the visitor share.
- Over in China, Qunar.com (21.93%) jumped a spot to clinch the title as the country’s leading online travel agency, while trip.taobao.com (16.42%) slipped down the charts to second place, followed by Ctrip.com (6.82%).
- MaFengWo (23.00%) continues its supremacy as the frontrunner in the destination and accommodation category, while rising competitor go.360.cn jumped a whopping eight spots to snag a spot on the top three list with 7.28% share of visits.
- China Southern Airlines continued to spearhead the commercial airline sector with 17.82% share of visits, while China Eastern Airlines (15.81%) and Air China (15.59%) trailed marginally behind.
Experian Hitwise Travel Data - January 2013